This is an easy and fun soup mix to make. It's super yummy, too! Make some jars and set aside, then if anyone you know is feeling sick, you can quickly cook up some delicious homemade soup for them. These jars of soup mix also make a great gift. Fill a basket with the mix, some crackers, a soup spoon, and some rolls, and you've got a quick and heartwarming gift!
Friendship Soup Mix
- 1/2 cup dry split peas
- 1/3 cup beef bouillon granules
- 1/4 cup pearl barley
- 1/2 cup dry lentils
- 1/4 cup dried onion flakes
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup uncooked long-grain white rice
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup uncooked pasta
- In a 1 1/2 pint jar, layer the split peas, bouillon, barley, lentils, onion flakes, Italian seasoning, rice, and bay leaves. Wrap the pasta in plastic wrap, and place in the jar. Seal tightly.
- Attach a label to the jar with the following instructions:
- Friendship Soup ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS: 1 pound ground beef, black pepper to taste, garlic powder to taste, 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes - undrained, 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste, and 3 quarts water. TO PREPARE SOUP: Remove pasta from top of jar, and set aside. In a large pot over medium heat, brown beef with pepper and garlic; drain excess fat. Add diced tomatoes, tomato paste, water, and soup mix. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low. Cover, and simmer for 45 minutes. Stir in the pasta, cover, and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, or until the pasta, peas, lentils and barley are tender.