Sunday, February 27, 2011

Warm Apple Crisp with Ice Cream


I love warm apple crisp with ice cream. Yum! I always cut up fresh apples for the filling. If you cook down the apples on the stove with a little cinnamon and sugar it's good enough to eat on its own. I have to remember to leave enough for the filling. An apple peeler/corer makes this a breeze. Although my four year old insisted on peeling all the apples himself.

Apple Filling:
about 6 good sized apples (Granny Smith is best)
cinnamon
sugar

Peel, core, and slice apples. Place in a pot and cook them on medium heat for a few minutes. You want them to still be a little crunchy but the juices to release a little. Stir in cinnamon and sugar to taste. I have some thickening powder that I bought from a kitchen supply store and I add a little in, but its optional. Put filling in a greased 9x13 pan. Sprinkle the following topping on top and bake at 375 degrees for 35 minutes until topping has browned and apples are bubbling. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.


Apple Crisp Topping:
2/3 c butter or margarine
1 c packed brown sugar
1 c rolled oats
1 c flour
2 tsp cinnamon
Mix together until crumbly. Sprinkle on top of apples.

No comments:

Post a Comment